Our History

history dallas food bank sign

In 1982, the North Texas Food Bank was established by Jo Curtis, Kathryn Hall, Lorraine Griffin Kircher and Liz Minyard. They decided to address the critical issue of hunger in our community by distributing donations of surplus food and grocery products through a network of charitable organizations.

This network included 13 counties: Dallas, Denton, Collin, Fannin, Rockwall, Hunt, Grayson, Kaufman, Ellis, Navarro, Lamar, Delta and Hopkins. In the first year, 400,000 pounds of food were distributed.

In 1983, members of NTFB’s organizing committee joined members of the Texas Legislature to help pass the Good Faith Donor Act, which protected donors from liability of donations or donated product. After this, many more North Texans were inspired to donate.

Over the decades, the impact of hunger has grown. As NTFB entered the new century, the face of hunger changed as the economic downturn led to North Texans at every income level seeking food assistance.

Today, NTFB continues the fight against hunger as a certified member of the Feeding America Food Bank Network. Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger relief organization, solicits food and grocery products from national suppliers, distributes them through more than 200 food banks and provides food banks with operational support. It also educates the public and government officials about the ongoing problem of hunger.

SIGN UP FOR

OUR EMAIL LIST

North Texas Food Bank 4500 S. Cockrell Hill Road Dallas, TX 75236-2028 214.330.1396 (MAP IT)

The development of this website was generously underwritten by The Hoblitzelle Foundation.

Site developed by RSW