Mayor's Back to School Fair
August 1, 2014
Join the North Texas Food Bank at the 18th annual Mayor’s Back to School Fair on Aug. 1 at Fair Park’s Automobile and Centennial Buildings. The Fair, presented by Walmart and Sam’s Club, is an opportunity for children and their families to begin the new school year with many of their school-related needs already met. Participants include the City of Dallas, Dallas-area schools, public health department, state agencies, non-profits, corporations and hundreds of volunteers. As a “one stop” destination, the fair helps prepare economically disadvantaged children go back to school through services provided by community agencies that specialize in helping children. NTFB will distribute fresh produce generously donated by Walmart and provide information about SNAP benefits.
• Family-friendly environment with musical entertainment and many kids’ activities, including games, book fair, interactive demonstrations and booths
• School supplies will be donated to nearly 15,000 school-aged children in the City of Dallas
• Students will receive immunization information and administration
• FREE dental screenings, fluoride applications, oral health information as well as free toothbrushes and toothpaste
• FREE vision screenings for all ages
• FREE haircuts will be available for school-aged children
• DISD will provide information on district services, including: magnet schools, scholarship and alternative programs, psychological and social services, parenting and family literacy
• Community resource booths featuring information on such subjects as crime prevention, fire safety, college readiness, housing, transportation, personal finances, health, nutrition and literacy
For more information, visit http://www.mayorsbacktoschoolfair.com.